East York Bathroom
Bathroom renovation in the East York area.
This simple renovation of an existing bathroom upgraded the efficiency of the fixtures, added new waterproofing systems under the tile and updated the space with a modern aesthetic.
SCOPE OF WORK
We removed the old vanity and plumbing fixtures and donated them to Habitat for Humanity. We installed new sound dampening insulation in the walls using recycled denim insulation (UltraTouch) and drywalled the room with a 97% recycled content drywall. The entire new tile floor and custom shower was laid over a Schluter Ditra waterproof membrane. We also upgraded the ventilation in the bathroom with an Energy Star rated exhaust fan.
The new custom vanity was constructed from FSC certified solid cherry. The finish on the vanity and paint throughout the bathroom are low to no VOC. All of the caulking, glues and adhesives used in the bathroom are also low to no VOC.
INCREASED WASTE DIVERSION
- Greening Homes created a waste diversion plan before we started this project to identify all potential waste/recyclable materials the project would produce
- Custom door casements and trim were made of reclaimed pine from box-spring mattresses
- The existing bathroom vanity, plumbing fixtures, light fixtures and other salvageable interior elements, like doors, were carefully removed and donated to Habitat for Humanity. The tax receipt for the donation was given to our client.
INFORMED MATERIAL SELECTION
- FSC certified cherry custom bathroom vanity
- Schluter Ditra waterproof membrane under all bathroom tile and shower walls
- A 97% recycled drywall product was used throughout the bathroom
- All framing lumber (where possible) was FSC certified
- All trim and interior doors were FSC certified
- UltraTouch recycled cotton denim batt sound insulation (bathroom walls)
- California standard, lead free plumbing fixtures
EFFICIENT USE OF RESOURCES
- New LED pot lights in the ceiling
- Low-flow dual-flush toilet
HEALTHY INDOOR AIR QUALITY
- Non-toxic soldering flux was used on all plumbing components
- Preservative-free drywall compound with natural binders
- EcoLogo certified no VOC adhesives and caulking
- No VOC primer and paints
- New Energy Star rated bathroom exhaust fan
SMART TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM SITE
- This site was a seven minute walk from Woodbine subway station and allowed the majority of the Greening Homes crew to take the TTC
- Trucks and other vehicles were used for moving materials and tools when they were required (not for day-to-day commuting)